A Human...Being—Not A Human Doing

Is it just me, or is life moving at a messy, breakneck speed these days?
It seems like time is unraveling faster, like a ball of yarn rolling hastily toward the end of itself. Where does the time go? Am I the only one that feels like there is to much to do and they are fighting time?! How can I slow time down?

We have to make time. What does that mean? It means we have to purpose in our minds to make time for the important things. The annoying barrage of "to dos" will always be screaming for attention. (For example, I should be cleaning my house right now. My in-laws are coming over tomorrow to stay with us for two nights. But I'm blogging. It's a sacrifice that I've chosen to make. Priorities, people.) The house will always need cleaning, the laundry will always need washing, the bills will always need paying, the grass will always need mowing...but what about the important things in life?

God. Family. People.

The only "things" that really matter aren't "things" at all. Our relationship with God and others are the only "things" that will last forever. It's all we get to take with us after this life on earth is gone. We have to make them priorities. We have to learn to press "pause" and enjoy a moment in the hurried, messiness of life. We capture a moment by making it a memory. How do we know when we're making a memory? Sometimes it's obvious. Our wedding day. The birth of our children. Their first step, first word, first day of school, etc... But what about the little things?

I remember a few years ago, I came home on my birthday and my husband and kids greeted me with a chocolate mini-donut with a lit candle in it (because that's all we had in our barren pantry that resembled cake at the time) and sang "Happy Birthday." (I'll admit, at first I was a little disappointed. A mini-donut? Really? But when I saw the faces of my kids all lit up with excitement and the humble smile on my husbands face, it moved me. They loved me and they wanted to show it.) Now it's one of my favorite memories. Or the many other birthdays when I am greeted early in the morning in my bra and underwear and dripping wet hair (don't picture it...it's not pretty) by sleepy faces holding presents and singing "Happy Birthday!" Um...can I put on some clothes first? My husband can hardly contain himself when it comes to presents or surprises. (Isn't that the perfect picture of the life of a working mom? I'm rushing to get ready and they come in with these sweet, little faces holding their precious, awkwardly wrapped offerings for me. They don't care that I'm half dressed with dripping hair. They are excited to share their love with me...no matter what I look like.) What if I had missed those moments because I was too busy or it seemed silly or insignificant at the time compared to all the important things I had to do that day? I have to remind myself, this is what's important. It won't always be this way. There will be a day, in a quiet, empty house (though hard to imagine now) that I will long for those crazy, busy moments.

How do these things become special memories?

We take the time to live fully in that moment. My pastor always says, "Wherever you are, be all there." Be present. Choose the important over the screaming "to do" list.

Choose to make the mundane moments memorable.

I find the memories I cherish most are the fun, unexpected moments in life. Do something fun and unexpected during a regular, old day. Turn on some fun music while you clean the house. Teach your kids a dance you did in high school. Play a video game with your kids (this is my son's love language). Go for a family walk. Make your husband give you a piggy back ride somewhere. Prancercise down the road with a friend. (Yes, I've done that. The friend will remain nameless to protect the not-so-innocent. If you've never heard of it, Youtube it. It's hilarious.) Do something fun on the drive home with your kids instead of a quiet, boring ride. (The other day, my nine year old daughter and I decided we would roll down the windows, turn up the radio and sing and dance at the stop lights. It was a contest to see how many people we could get to give us strange looks. We had a blast. My daughter loved it! My eleven year old son? Not so thrilled. He slid down in his seat and played video games where no one could see him. It was a fun moment I know I'll remember in years to come and so will my daughter. My son? Well, he may need to talk to a counselor about it when he's grown.)

It's not just about capturing moments...but making moments.

I love the story of Mary and Martha in the Bible. Can't you just picture it? Martha is rushing around all crazy-like, making sure the plates match the tablecloth and the forks are all clean. (What? Didn't they have forks and tablecloths in Bible-times? My blog, my imagination.) Anyway...she's rushing around fussing and making sure everything is just...perfect. (And this was before the days of Pinterest!) Meanwhile, Mary is sitting at Jesus' feet. She's soaking in every word. Capturing the moment. Do you think Mary knew the significance of that moment? Do you think she felt the gravity of it? Or was it just like any other day with friends coming for dinner and that guy, Jesus, was teaching again? I think a little of both. But Mary had to choose to make it important.

On the flip side, I feel for Martha. I am a Martha. I can make a big fuss over silly, insignificant things. When I look back, will I remember if my throw pillows were the perfect color and pattern to match my curtains? Will I remember that time those people were over and there was cat hair on my furniture?

No.

(Well...maybe the cat hair on the furniture. That's a little embarrassing.)

Martha was doing the "to do" list; what she thought had to be done. Martha was doing and Mary was being. Someone I admire once said, "You are a human being...not a human doing." I can't tell you how that set me free!! Take time to just be. Be in the moment. Mary chose to capture that moment and make time for what really was important. I honestly think Martha was trying to make herself look better by pleasing people. Mary was bettering herself by pleasing God. There it is people. The big difference. What are our efforts for? Pleasing God? Or pleasing people? Doing or being?

So while your "to do" list screams at you today, purpose in your heart to choose the important:
To love God, love family and love people (not please them).

Make the mundane moments memorable.

Be in the moment.

Be a human being...not a human doing.


My daughter and I capturing a fun moment together. My son in the backseat...not participating. ;)

Popular Posts