Glass Trophies

Ornate. 
Breathtaking. 
Beautiful.
Hand-blown glass trophies. 

Catching light within each intricate curve.
These are my accomplishments, a testimony of my life's work.

Delicate. 
Precious. 
Displayed high on a shelf, out of reach, beyond human touch.
Admire my collection, won't you please?
See the workmanship and detail I put into each piece.
Appreciate the time taken to create each miniature monument to my success.

I secretly spend time here—this private little room in my heart.
I gaze upon my most prized collection and reminisce on my past achievements.
I've polished and preserved each piece throughout the years.
Past purposes seem to fill my new, empty spaces.
Beholding each piece makes me feel held.
Each trophy tells a story of my worth.
Proof of my purpose.

Today, He came in my secret room...

He gazed upon my collection.
I was beaming as I watched Him.
"He must be so proud of me!" I thought within myself.
He looked at me lovingly, such a tender look I've come to know and love.

And I knew...
He was desiring an extravagant act of worship from me.
The question seeped into my heart and confronted me:
Would I be willing to give them all up and break them at His feet?

My heart began to weep.

But, Lord, I worked so hard!
These are my proof of worth.
I need them!

He held me close to His heart.

I knew it was my choice.
He would never push me.
He would wait until I was ready.
He could come again another day...

Slowly, my eyes were opened and I began to see the emptiness of each trophy.
The uselessness of such delicate pieces in the face of the work He was calling me to do.

I could remain like these delicate sculptures—cold and out of reach, beyond human touch, a precious relic of the past to be admired on a shelf;
Or I could be alive and present, filled with His purpose, like moldable clay in His loving hands.

A living, breathing sacrifice.

"But what can I admire in a room filled with barren shelves?"
I thought to myself.
"What will fill this room in my heart once it is empty?"

He would.

His love began to fill every space of that room until I thought my heart would burst.
I began to grab each glass trophy and smash them at His feet.
Like Mary, with her alabaster jar, offering up that which represented my life's work.
To my surprise, each piece released the most beautiful fragrance of worship.

I wept at His feet as my fragrant offering filled the room.
Is that all I have to give? Suddenly, my collection seemed so small and insignificant.
What else could I give Him?
What else can I break at His feet?!

He lifted my head, smiled and held me close.
"You are enough." He said.
His love shattered every fear and insecurity within me.
Every feeling of unworthiness melted away.
All striving to prove my worth ceased.

I just enjoyed His presence.
And He enjoyed mine.

My purpose redefined: to love and be loved.
And to share His love with others.

Popular Posts